1. Competent Agri Solutions Pvt Ltd -
Founded by him in August 2009 along with a like minded Gujarat based Agribusiness professional. Besides being a full service Supply Chain Solutions and Consultancy in fruit & Vegetable sector, contributing knowledge resources and cross linking opportunities towards improvement of fruit and vegetable trade both a backend and frontend, is the main mandate of Competent Agrisolutions. Lately, as Managing Director at Competent AgriSolutions Pvt Ltd, a supply chain solutions cum food & agribiz consulting company, he is donning role of a potent leader who is engaged in exponential multiplication of his expertise, knowledge and beliefs in transformation of primitive, traditional agricultural marketing systems into a modern, transparent and efficient platform thereby significantly contributing to the Indian economy.
Managing Director - Location Delhi
As a team leader he has spearheaded following major projects since incorporation of this company. Some of recent domestic and International consulting and interim management assignments:
- In addition to above, within days of company incorporation, he organized vegetable growers in Delhi rural and adjoining States in India and set up farmers’ managed three Collection Centers to pool their fresh produce for onward supply to large retail chains including Big Bazar, Aditya Birla, Heritage and Bharti Delmonte, besides servicing some caterers and orders suppliers across India. Farmers were very happy with this direct farmer – market linkage initiative.
- Established a fresh produce processing and marketing company to minimally processed fruit and vegetables in an innovative manner and market same in hygienic customer friendly packs. Introduced trimmed shrink wrapped tender coconut, a runaway success, first time in India.
- Appointed as Mentor with ICRISAT (International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics) for the Network of Indian Agri-Business Incubators.
- Spearheaded company’s empanelment with SFAC (Small Farmers’ Agri-business Consortium) a premier institution set-up by Govt. of India for the promotion and development of small farmers’ agri-business activities.
- Became member of IFAMA, USA (International Food & Agribusiness Management Association).
- Development of an integrated fruit and vegetables supply chain and for an urban retail project in Dhaka, Bangladesh by Fresh & Safe Agro Limited. Project is modeled as an end to end farmer to consumer market linkage project with organic vegetable production and with developmental emphasis on gains to local farmers from integration process.
2. REI Six Ten Retail Ltd – REI Agro Ltd was established in the year 1994 with a vision to consolidate the fragmented basmati rice industry. In a short span of time it rose to the position of an undisputed leadership in the industry. REI Agro launched its 6Ten chain of retail outlets in last quarter of the fiscal of 2006-7 as part of its objective to get closer to end customer. With 371 neighborhood stores in 9 Indian States presently, 6Ten is a retail brand to reckon with. REI Six Ten Retail Ltd made a dream debut when the retail undertaking of REI Agro was demerged into REI Six Ten Retail Ltd and its equity shares of got listed in the Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange on April 27, 2009 on a turnover of Rs 1863 Crores. (1st April 2009 – contd.)
(1st April 2009 - August 2009)
Business Head (Fruit & Vegetables) - Location Delhi
- Established 5 new Collection Centers across the 5 Indian States for sourcing fresh produce directly from farmers. This brought down the procurement share of wholesale markets by 45% resulting in saving on product procurement cost by a whopping 20% plus. Substantial improvement in freshness and quality because of this action however can’t be quantified.
- Brought down the transport fleet size by 18% resulting in saving over Rs 2 Lakh a month on transport bill
- Reduced wage bill by trimming down manpower by almost 50% bringing down the manpower cost and tremendous improvement in people productivity.
- Just 14000 Sq ft warehouse used in servicing morning 6 AM daily deliveries at 185 plus stores in Delhi / NCR region.
- Changed the warehouse operations from ‘own’ to ‘outsource’ to wean out inefficiencies and rationalize manpower deployment.
- Implemented all together new Indenting, Pricing & Price Benchmarking, Logistics and reporting system in spite of good resistance from staff for maintaining status quo. Blending some fresh experienced talent with old staff and nurturing the blend as a supportive team made this possible in quick span.
2. Reliance Retail Ltd. – As a wholly owned subsidiary of
Reliance Industries ltd, RRL is gearing up to revolutionize the
retailing industry in India and is aggressively working on introducing
a pan-India network of retail outlets in multiple formats. A world
class shopping environment, state of art technology, a seamless supply
chain infrastructure, a host of unique value-added services and above
all, unmatched customer experience, is what this initiative is all about
(6th Oct 2006 –31st Match 2009.)
& Food Supply Chain) - Location Gurgaon
Achievements – Starting
from zero base, launched fresh produce category at Reliance Fresh
flat two and half months by;
- Building capacity in
sourcing fresh produce
directly from farm production / supply areas by establishing Collection
across the 5 neighboring States,
- Establishing a
large warehouse complex to handle, process, consolidate fresh produce,
- Building / renewing
with hundreds of
stakeholders across the chain to feed / oil the supply chain
- Organizing a market
network for price
benchmarking both at wholesale as well
as retail side,
- Logistics planning for
complex geography that
is NCR which falls in three States with many vehicle entry barriers and
planning and price / promotion
management at front end – a ticklish job considering price /
market spread in
retail at thousand unorganized retail markets.
- Building a strategic
manage thin and lean
- Establishing a modern
to cut, pack and distribute fresh cut vegetables – a first of
such unit for a
retail chain in NCR.
- Presently 130 stores
Hypermarkets are served fresh
produce on 24x7x365 basis for a 60 Crore plus per annum profitable
with net margins going up to 9%.
- Few of the low cost
(Direct Store Delivery by cutting down distribution time) and techno
initiatives (market information system) undertaken by team are industry
in organized sector and have completely rebuild the supply chain value
proposition for perishable produce. Within Reliance Retail, these
by local team have been replicated all across India.
a Chennai based
supermarket and pharmacy discount chain, opened the doors of its first
store in 1997. With 140 stores and a turnover of Rs 278 Crore in 2004,
Subhiksha is planning to become a multi-city operator soon. The next
12-18 months will see Subhiksha setting up 180 stores in Hyderabad,
Bangalore, Delhi and Mumbai.
2005 – 5th October 2006)
Head of Business Operation (Fruit &
Vegetable) – North Unit – Location Delhi
- Quick establishment of
chain to fit into
Subhiksha’s overall discount retailing strategy.
- Quick roll out of 55
operational all across
Delhi in just three months.
- Subhiksha, a hitherto
business entity in
Northern India gets a brand identity in Delhi before final launch of
supermarket and telecom business three month later.
- Unexpected customer
business, and also a
good competition to already entrenched Mother Dairy’s Safal
Safal Auction Market, Bangalore, a brain child of the National Dairy
Development Board (NDDB) which has been established to usher in a new
chapter to the business of wholesaling horticultural commodities in
(July 2004 - September
Development Group – North / West / East operations –
Team Building – Built,
managed a team, practically from scratch, at potential locations across
territory to execute Safal Market’s supply objective in just two
teams were effectively deployed to ensure regular supplies for auction
Safal Market’s quantity, quality, packaging, delivery and price
from day one.
Building – In just 4 months he was able to build business alliances with
than 20 Cold / Dry store owners and users in Delhi, Haryana, UP,
achieve Safal Market’s supply chain objectives. Job entailed
designing and signing
of formal and informal MOUs, Agreements and Contracts.
development of 10 growers’ institutions in HP, UP, Maharashtra
supplies to Safal Market in first 5 months. Integrated growers, exiting
growers’ organizations, institutions and traders as registered
this exercise at 5 locations for direct / indirect productive impact on
supplies to Safal Market in near future. This would entail
Sorting / Grading lines for Apples / Oranges / Potato / Kinnow and
warehouse and cold storage for Onions.
Building – Revived,
made contacts with many old and new suppliers / buyers / APMCs in
Haryana, HP, UP, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Jharkhand, J&K
ensure smooth licensing for uninterrupted supplies / sales for Safal
and publicity of
concept at all suppliers’ / non-supplier meets / industry forums
use of IT tools and electronic media.
Mother Dairy Foods Processing Limited,
owners and marketer of Mother Dairy, Dhara and Safal brands of dairy,
vegetable oils and horticultural products, Delhi, India. Current
turnover is over Rs 1500 Crore. The company is wholly owned by the
National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) - an organisation of National
importance. (1987 - Contd.)
Planning & Business Development Group (Agri-business)
– July 2004)
- As a
wholesale markets expert with Market
Development department, he played a key role in successful
of Centralized Dutch fruit and vegetable auction at NDDB’s
Market in Bangalore. In addition to auction, three Cash & Carry
wholesaling fruit and vegetables had also been successfully launched in
Bangalore city. In just two months of launch, Safal Market wholesaled
100 MT fresh produce daily.
a month of induction, he was able to
identify for NDDB, a local procurement and imports based food marketing
in Colombo, Sri Lanka. After extensive travel and studies in Sri Lanka,
pre-feasibility study has already been submitted and got approved.
market survey to formulate a commercially viable project plan for the
identified project is in progress.
negotiated a long term lease of 24
Acre built up wholesale Food Market in Ernakulam (Cochin) with Kerala
– October 2003)
- In a
short span of just 4 months, he leveraged technology
to revamp communication and information systems for the group.
- A low
transaction software & electronic data interchange system
integrated with main
server at Head Qtr, was placed at all C & F Agent locations. This
out the major deficiencies in Inventory, Invoice & MIS processes.
- As a
introduction of an enterprise level web application to replace above
more agile online system was implemented.
staff, suppliers, C & F Agents, transporters and other business
were made to communicate through private and public networks only. A
point but this action cut down the communication cost by more than 25%.
view of logistical, cost and contractual
disadvantages, he rationalized Company’s C & F operations
country by closing and scaling down 8 C & F operations in flat 4
without affecting the sales. (Cost cutting by 30%).
- A new
supply cum distribution model using Integrated
Logistics Service Providers was introduced for frozen products for the
time in the Country at few select locations. This move shall bring down
overall distribution cost by at least 15 %.
down the cost of operations in surviving C &
F and transport contracts by 10 % by cutting down the storage space
and review of secondary transport arrangements.
new C & F & transport contracts to plug
numerous money draining holes.
- A low
cost centralized computerized and online Indenting
model was developed and deployed across the country to streamline
Supply Chain Management processes.
& Development Group
plan for Fruit & Vegetable Auction Market Project at Bangalore,
project outlay of Rs 150 Crore, gets quick approval by NDDB. The plan
a detailed road map for the fruit & vegetable supply management
within and outside Karnataka for the proposed market.
acceptance of the Integrated Horticulture Marketing feasibility study
Government of India.
a blueprint for horticultural Cash-n-Carry stores for company’s
& Vegetable Unit.
- Spearheaded company’s marketing
drive to create
a niche for it's complete range of fresh products in hitherto untapped
wholesale and export markets. Exported huge potato quantity to
wholesale branding concept for fruit & vegetables for the first
time in the
country in organized sector. Both exports and wholesale marketing are
revenue streams for the company.
CFB wholesale and retail packaging for ten fruits and vegetables for
company in just two months. Introduced indigenous Kiwi fruit in branded
for the first time in Indian markets.
alternate logistic plan developed by him is yielding rich dividend
company at numerous Agri-business events, seminars, conferences and
presentations organized by various chambers of commerce (like FICCI,
ASSOCHAM), Central and State Govts
a dedicated team of 60 plus professionals, to develop an extensive and
effective Fresh Produce contract farming
Sourcing network, practically all
over India, for round the year quality supplies of more than 150 fresh commodities at competitive
prices. The job involved round the clock coordination and monitoring at
- Brought 500 plus Hectares of vegetable area in 6
Indian States under production enhancement contract farming programme
state of the art production technology based on the principles of
uniformity and use of innovative but simple farm machines. Wide bed
technology propagated by his group for various vegetables, particularly
potatoes, have become a de-facto standard for progressive farmers
of procurement policies and procedures from
purchases at supply source at
local prices and terms, to, supplies at company premises in Delhi
declaring prices in production areas. This
change completely overhauled company's procurement structure and
of purchases in wholesale markets from
outright purchases at company's
risk, to supplies at Project premises in Delhi on competitive biddings
This change resulted in major savings.
of 15 difficult fruit and vegetable items hitherto not retailed by the
11000 MTs of produce, apart from regular supplies for company's retail
in six months, for wholesale trials at major Indian wholesale market.
various contract formats for growers, transporters and wholesalers that
still being used
Milkfed , Punjab - A
Federation of 10 Distt. Milk Cooperatives and owners of "Verka", a
well-known milk products brand in India. (1981 -1987)
and execution of a fodder seed production programme on more than 500
annually under contract growing.
of a 50 Hectares captive demonstration cum seed production farm as an
independent profit centre.
Government of Punjab,
India (1979 -1980)
- As a team leader, spearheded setting up of India's
first mobile soil and water testing laboratory in Punjab.